making symlinks with distutils

Michele Simionato michele.simionato at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 05:45:34 EST 2005

I want to distribute a pure Python package with this structure:

>    mypackage
>         __init__.py
>         module1.py
>         module2.py
>         myexecutable.py

In particular, myexecutable.py is a script which is intended to be used
from the command line via the shebang trick. I want to distribute on
Unices.
and I want a symlink

/usr/bin/myexecutable -> <package-path>/mypackage/myexecutable.py

to be made at installation time, when the user runs "python setup.py
install".

What is the recommanded way to do that? Do I need a postinstallation
script or something like that?

I could do that in various way, but I don't see the obvious one,
maybe because I am not a Dutch ;)

         Michele Simionato