newbie question - exception processing

M.E.Farmer mefjr75 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 20 03:06:46 EST 2005

-
> see 'Help/About PythonWin' for further copyright information.
> in SampleMain constructor
> in UnderConstructionError constructor
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<interactive input>", line 1, in ?
>   File "C:\Python24\sample01.py", line 12, in NotYetAllowed
>     raise UCError
> UnderConstructionError: <unprintable instance object>
> >>>

> My questions are:
> 1) What is causing the error described in the Traceback?
> 2) Given that what I want to happen when the NotYetAllowed() method
is
> called is:
>     a) an exception to be raised
>     b) the exception results in a message getting printed; the
message
> should come from the place where the exception was raised, and it
> should be passed to the exception class as a string object; so in
this
> case the message that should be printed is 'not yet ready'
>     c) the exception gets handled with the try/except within the
> SampleMain class
>
> My question is: what changes must I make to the code to make that
> happen?
>
> Thank you.
Hello ,
This is originally snagged from the standard library.
Spend time reading thru the modules they will show you how to do a lot
of things.
# Exception example
class PSCError(Exception):
    # Base for custom errors
    def __init__(self, msg=''):
        self._msg = msg
        Exception.__init__(self, msg)
    def __repr__(self):
        return self._msg
    __str__ = __repr__

class PathError(PSCError):
    def __init__(self, msg):
       PSCError.__init__(self,
         'Path error! : %s'% msg)

class InputError(PSCError):
   def __init__(self, msg):
       PSCError.__init__(self,
         'Input error! : %s'% msg)

# and you use it like this
raise PathError, 'Please check path'
raise InputError, 'Improper input try again'

hth,
M.E.Farmer