Unittesting for web applications

Grig Gheorghiu grig.gheorghiu at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 12:41:48 EST 2005

There's another current thread on c.l.py talking about testing Web
applications. Somenone suggested Jython in conjunction with HttpUnit, a
combination that worked for me too -- but the name HttpUnit is
misleading, since it does functional/black box testing and not unit
testing. It beats scraping Web pages though, so it may be sufficient
for what you need. You can see a mini-tutorial I wrote at
http://agiletesting.blogspot.com/2005/02/web-app-testing-with-jython-and.html

I don't know any Python-specific frameworks for Web app unit testing.
In the Java world, there's Cactus at http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus/.
To quote from that page, "Cactus is a simple test framework for unit
testing server-side java code (Servlets, EJBs, Tag Libs, Filters,
...)." So this is pretty much Java-centric and may not help you much.