Moving to Python from PHP - 3 questions

bruno modulix onurb at xiludom.gro
Mon Feb 21 05:18:55 EST 2005

Michal Migurski wrote:
>> The python-based zope application server has session management. Togther
>> with a built-in user and access rights management.
>> This can be done in zope if you name a variable <name>:list. That then
>> will
>> give you the variable as list regardless of the number of occurences.
>

> Thank you. My impression of Zope in the past has been that it does what
> I need, along with 10,000 other things I don't (built in WebDAV
> server?!),

Our web designer just *loves* it (and ZopePageTemplates too, since they
work quite ok with it's favorite html editor...). Might not be useful to
you, but...

> but clearly I owe it another chance. I've been initially
> attracted to mod_python because of its raw simplicity and its apparent
> similarity to mod_php and mod_perl, which I am familiar with. I'll give
> Zope a try.

Zope is a great product, but hard to get into, and it's sometime just
too big and fat for some simple things. So while it may be worth giving
it a try, I would not recommend it for all and any project.

Now when it comes to session management and the like, there are many
other libs/frameworks/etc based on mod_python.

This might be a good start :
http://www.python.org/topics/web/

HTH
--