searching pdf files for certain info

rbt rbt at athop1.ath.vt.edu
Tue Feb 22 10:45:09 EST 2005

Andreas Lobinger wrote:
> Aloha,
>
> rbt wrote:
>
>> Thanks guys... what if I convert it to PS via printing it to a file or
>> something? Would that make it easier to work with?
>

> Not really...
> The classical PS Drivers (f.e. Acroread4-Unix print-> ps) simply
> define the pdf graphics and text operators as PS commands and
> copy the pdf content directly.
>
> Wishing a happy day
>     LOBI

I downloaded ghostscript for Win32 and added it to my PATH
(C:\gs\gs8.15\lib AND C:\gs\gs8.15\bin). I found that ps2ascii works
well on PDF files and it's entirely free.

Usage:

ps2ascii PDF_file.pdf > ASCII_file.txt

However, bundling a 9+ MB package with a 5K script and convincing users
to install it is another matter altogether.