Generating .pyc/.pyo from a make file

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Feb 2 18:22:16 EST 2005

Roland Heiber wrote:

> Tim Daneliuk wrote:
>
>> It does - thanks.  One more question:  Are pyc and pyo file portable
>> across operating systems?  I suspect not since I generated a pyo
>> on a FreeBSD machine that will not run on a Win32 machine.  I was
>> under the impression that "compiled" meant optimized byte code that
>> was portable across implementations, but it looks to not be the case...
>>

> Hi,
>
> ..pyc's should be, cause it's standard python-bytecode, if you use
> massive optimizations it depends not on the os but on the underlying
> cpu/architecture ...
>
> So long, Roland

You probably tried to use a bytecode file from *one* version of Python
with an interpreter of another version. Python actually checks the first
four bytes of the .pyc file for a compatible "magic number" before
accepting the file for execution.

regards
  Steve
Come to PyCon DC 2005          http://www.python.org/pycon/2005/