replacing ASP/VBScript with Python

Peter Maas peter at somewhere.com
Tue Feb 15 11:55:56 EST 2005

Peter Maas schrieb:
> I have inherited an extremely messy ASP/VBScript application which
> is a pain for me to support. Now the customer is thinking about a
> redesign. I'd like to rewrite the whole thing in Python but the app
> has to meet some conditions like
>
> - IIS frontend
> - MSSQL db server
> - Win32 authentication
> - No 'ugly' URLs like http://server/cgi-bin/frontend.cgi?main.py
> - Performance: intranet with ~ 1000 users

In the meantime I have searched the internet and found plenty of options:

- plain cgi with fastcgi and mod_rewrite for IIS to transform the URL
- quixote cgi with fastcgi and mod_rewrite
- Webware + wkcgi
- Python ASP (registering Python with Pywin32 as ASP language)
- mxODBC + SQL ODBC driver
- pyADO + SQL MDAC driver

I'm now confident that it is doable and keen on finding out. The usual
question: what is the one and best way to do it? ;)