UTF-8 / German, Scandinavian letters - is it really this difficult?? Linux & Windows XP

Mariano Draghi mdraghi at prosud.com
Tue Feb 22 07:51:35 EST 2005

Hace mucho tiempo en una galaxia muy, muy lejana, Mike Dee escribió:
>    A very very basic UTF-8 question that's driving me nuts:
>
> If I have this in the beginning of my Python script in Linux:
>
> #!/usr/bin/env python
> # -*- coding: UTF-8 -*-
>
> should I - or should I not - be able to use non-ASCII characters
> in strings and in Tk GUI button labels and GUI window titles and in
> raw_input data without Python returning wrong case in manipulated
> strings and/or gibberished characters in Tk GUI title?

I'd recommend reading "The Absolute Minimum Every Software Developer
Absolutely, Positively Must Know About Unicode and Character Sets (No
Excuses!)", by Joel Spolsky:
- http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Unicode.html

It's not based on Python (nor any other language either...), but I find
it *very* useful.

Regards,

--
Mariano