IPython colors in windows

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 15:45:20 EST 2005

Claudio Grondi wrote:

> It works for me as it is now, so probably it is better to wait for the
> next release of IPython with a cleaner implementation of color
> schemes before further efforts towards support for choosing
> of background colors for each colorized text output in IPython
> via extension of Console.py of the readline module.

Just to clarify something: there's essentially zero chance that the next ipython
version will provide for user-level color scheme customizations in a clean,
friendly way.  I simply have more important improvements I need to work on,
with a very finite amount of time for it all.  If you send me a patch, I'll be
delighted to include it, but otherwise this will take a back seat.

The main reason for this is that I'm starting to play with a rewrite of the
config file system, to move away from a special plain text format, into using
regular python files.  This will bring multiple advantages, and once a true
python syntax is available to users, these kinds of changes can be allowed with
a far cleaner interface than the hacks required right now.

So for now, I'd suggest you live with the hacks, while a better, permanent
solution arrives.  But don't expect that improvement right away.

Regards,