namespaces module (a.k.a. bunch, struct, generic object, etc.) PEP

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at iinet.net.au
Fri Feb 11 21:02:24 EST 2005

rzed wrote:
> I would bet that subclassing is *still* going to be common, though,
> as each of us individually roll our own version to get that one
> vital feature the standard doesn't cover (for me, it's update with
> numerous other types)

This is certainly what I expect to happen. It's the main reason I think the
relevant documentation (including the PEP and docstrings) should encourage the
type(self).method() style of accessing class methods to avoid shadowing problems
while still properly supporting inheritance.

The other important aspect is for the classes to be designed to be inheritance
friendly.

> Though I'd like it to have a shorter name. I'm lazy.

'from namespaces import Namespace as ns' :)

I thought about suggesting simply 'space' as a name, but I think that's way too
vague. We're using it as a namespace, so we might as well call it one :)

Cheers,
Nick.