- E02 - Support for MinGW Open Source Compiler

Pat pobrien at orbtech.com
Mon Feb 14 15:06:54 EST 2005

Stephen Kellett wrote:
> In message <1108408914.405899.129990 at o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
Pat
> <pobrien at orbtech.com> writes
> >That answers the cost question (assuming that your interpretation of
> >the licensing is correct, since I'm not a lawyer nor qualified to
> >render much of an opinion on that).  But there is still the issue of
> >going through a bunch of configuration hassle that scares me away
from

> What configuration hassle? Can't be any harder than specifying a
> different CRT surely?

I don't want to have to ask users of my code to have to go through
this:

http://www.vrplumber.com/programming/mstoolkit/

What I want is to provide everything a user would need within my own
Subversion repository.  Any C code would be compiled behind the scenes
using free tools that I'm able to include in my repository (without
having to hire a lawyer first).

Having to tell users that they need to download, install, and configure
all this additional compiler stuff is asking too much from my potential
user base, since I'm also targeting novices and developers from other
languages for whom C compiler stuff is going to be a barrier to entry.

I hope that makes sense.  :-)

--
Patrick K. O'Brien
Orbtech    http://www.orbtech.com