Browsing text ; Python the right tool?

Jorgen Grahn jgrahn-nntq at algonet.se
Tue Feb 1 12:21:51 EST 2005

On 25 Jan 2005 09:40:35 -0800, beliavsky at aol.com <beliavsky at aol.com> wrote:
> Here is an elementary suggestion. It would not be difficult to write a
> Python script to make a csv file from your text files, adding commas at
> the appropriate places to separate fields. Then the csv file can be
> browsed in Excel (or some other spreadsheet).

I'd create text files like someone else suggested, because I'm more
comfortable with at least three text editors/viewers than with Excel.

But the bottom line is that it's a waste of time to design a new GUI around
a file format, when you can tweak the data enough to reuse something that
exists, and /has/ all the features you will eventually want.

> A0 and C1 records could
> be written to separate csv files.

(Assuming that's OK, I wonder why they shared a file to begin with. Is the
order between A0 and C1 records important?)

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <jgrahn@       Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/                algonet.se>   R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!