PythonWin and PyWin32

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at iinet.net.au
Sat Feb 5 02:29:31 EST 2005

Chris Lott wrote:
> Can someone elaborate for me what the pywin32 project is exactly? Is
> PythonWin a replacement for idle? More to the point, do I need to worry
> about this as I am learning about Python, since Idle and the Windows
> Installer seem to work fine on my XP box?

Python and IDLE work fine on Windows.

pywin32 is about better support for Windows specific idioms (e.g. easier COM
support, more convenient registry access).

Pythonwin is a windows native Python IDE built using MFC. Idle uses TKinter and
doesn't really feel like a standard Windows app.

Cheers,
Nick.