any Python equivalent of Math::Polynomial::Solve?

John M. Gamble jgamble at ripco.com
Sat Feb 26 15:42:37 EST 2005

In article <just-8EF886.20462126022005 at news1.news.xs4all.nl>,
Just  <just at xs4all.nl> wrote:

>Heh, how big are the odds you find the author of an arbitrary Perl
>module on c.l.py...

Hey, that's why it's called lurking.

>Any will do. As I wrote in another post, I'm currently only looking for
>a quintic equation solver, which your module does very nicely.
>
>> The
>> original source for the algorithm used in the module is
>> from Hiroshi Murakami's Fortran source, and it shouldn't
>> be too difficult to repeat the translation process to python.
>
>Ah ok, I'll try to locate that (following the instruction in Solve.pm
>didn't work for me :( ).

Ouch.  I just did a quick search and found that that site has undergone
a few changes, and the code that i reference is missing.  A few other
links in the docs are stale too.  I need to update the documentation.

Anyway, doing a search for 'hqr' and Eispack got me a lot of sites.
In particular, this one is pretty friendly:

<http://netlib.enseeiht.fr/eispack/>

Look at the source for balanc.f (does the prep-work) and hqr.f
(does the solving).  Minor annoyance: the real and imaginary
parts of the roots are in separate arrays.  I combined them into
complex types in my perl source, in case you want to make a
comparison.

Of course, all this may be moot if the other suggestions
work out.

--
	-john

February 28 1997: Last day libraries could order catalogue cards
from the Library of Congress.