namespaces module (a.k.a. bunch, struct, generic object, etc.) PEP

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 15:39:29 EST 2005

Jeremy Bowers wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:56:45 -0700, Steven Bethard wrote:
>> In the "empty classes as c structs?" thread, we've been talking in some
>> detail about my proposed "generic objects" PEP.  Based on a number of
>> suggestions, I'm thinking more and more that instead of a single
>> collections type, I should be proposing a new "namespaces" module instead.
>
> Context: I've never been excited by this proposal.
>
> But I am intrigued to note that with a couple of differences, you've now
> converged on a module I've already written for my own use, which I called
> a Registry.

Yeah, I guess that was really the motivation of this module.  I
personally wouldn't use it all that often -- certainly not with the
frequency that I use, say, Python 2.4's set type -- but I think there
are enough of us out here who have written essentially the same module
enough times that it merits a little bit of standardization and addition
to the standard library.

Steve