Newbie: SWIG or SIP?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Thu Feb 10 12:43:43 EST 2005

On 2005-02-10, suryaprakashg at gmail.com <suryaprakashg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Phil Thompson wrote:
>>> I have a third-party DLL and it's associated .h file.  The DLL
>>> was written in C.  I have neither the associated .c files nor
>>> the .obj files for the DLL.  Can I use SWIG or SIP to build
>>> something that will allow me to use the DLL with Python?  And
>>> what is that something, an .obj file, another DLL or what?
>>
>> Yes, you can use either SWIG or SIP. C (as opposed to C++)
>> support was added with SIP v4. The something is another DLL,
>> conventionally given a .pyd extenstion.
>
> Look at this , this might be more simple to use
>
> http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/ctypes/

ctypes completely rocks.  I'm guessing it's a little more
overhead than using a swigified DLL, but it's dead-easy to use
and doesn't require a C or C++ compiler.  For the stuff I do, a
bit of extra overhead when calling DLL's is completely
negligible.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  By MEER biz doo
                                  at               SCHOIN...