python-dev Summary for 2005-01-16 through 2005-01-31

Brett C bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Feb 28 22:18:20 EST 2005

=====================
Summary Announcements
=====================

School sure likes to destroy my free time

A month late, that much closer to having this hectic quarter being over.  Sorry
for being so delinquent with this summary but school has kept me busy and
obviously the Real World has to take precedence over volunteer work.  Now if I
could only get paid for doing this... =)

And if you hate the summaries being late, you could do it yourself.  This is
not meant to be a flippant comment!  I am always willing to hand over
development of the summaries to anyone who is willing to do a comparable job.
If you are interested feel free to email me.  I have now made this a permanent
offer in the header in case someone comes along later and decides they want to
do this.

----------------------
RSS feed now available
----------------------

Thanks entirely to one of my predecessors, A.M. Kuchling, the python-dev
Summaries are available as an `RSS feed`_.  The feed contains the titles of
every summary and so will be updated with the newest summaries as soon as they
are posted online.  A full text feed will eventually be available.

----------
New format
----------

I have done a thorough restructuring of the boilerplate and the Summary
Announcements section for the Summaries.  The purpose of this is to make
finding information in the boilerplate much easier.  It also keeps consistency
by sectioning off everything as in the Summary section.

The other reason is for the ``contents`` directive in reST_.  This will provide
a more thorough table of contents for the web version of the summary at the
very top of the summaries.  This will allow people to jump directly to the
section of the Summary they care about the most.  Obviously this perk only
exists in the HTML version.

Lastly, the typical boilerplate for each Summary has now been moved to the
bottom.  This was at the request of a regular reader who I would like to keep
happy.  =)  It also seems reasonable since once you have read through it once
chances are you are not going to read it again so might as well move it out of
the way.

Then again I could be totally wrong about all of this and manage to alienate
every person who reads the summaries regularly.  =)

=======
Summary
=======

---------------------
Python 2.3.5 released
---------------------

Consider how late this summary is I bet you already knew Python 2.3.5 was
already out the door.  =)

With Python 2.4 out in the world this means there is a very high probability
2.3.6 will never exist and this marks the end of the 2.3 branch.

Contributing threads:
   - `2.3.5 delayed til next week
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-January/051140.html>`__
   - `2.3 BRANCH FREEZE imminent!
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-January/051277.html>`__
   - `RELEASED Python 2.3.5, release candidate 1
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-January/051304.html>`__

Making magic type conversion methods act like __str__

Walter Dörwald discovered that when you subclass 'unicode' and call unicode()
on an instance of the subclass it will not call the implementation of
__unicode__ of the subclass but instead will call unicode.__unicode__ .  When
in the same scenario with strings, though, str() calls the subclass' __str__
method.  Turns out 'int' and 'float' act like 'unicode' while 'complex' acts
like 'str'.

So who is right?  Docs say 'str' is wrong, but this is mainly an artifact of
pre-2.2 inability to subclass types.  Turns out 'str' is acting properly.
`Patch #1109424`_ implements the proper semantics and will eventually go in for
2.5 (won't touch 2.4 since it is a semantic change).

.. _Patch #1109424: http://www.python.org/sf/1109424

Contributing threads:
   - `__str__ vs. __unicode__
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-January/051175.html>`__

Speeding up function calls to C API functions

Neal Norwitz posted the patch found at http://www.python.org/sf/1107887 to help
with function calls to C code.  The idea is to expand the family of values used
in PyMethodDef.ml_flags for argument types to include specifying the number of
minimum and maximum number of arguments.  This can provide a speedup by
allowing the eval loop to unpack everything in the C stack and skip packing
arguments in a tuple.

But not everyone was sure it was worth the extra need to specify all of this
for functions.  Regardless of that and any other objections this would be more
of a Python 3000 thing.

Which also led to a quick shift in topic to how Python 3.0 will be developed.
Guido said it would be piece-meal.  Read
http://joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000069.html for why.

Contributing threads:
   - `Speed up function calls
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-January/051251.html>`__
   - `Moving towards Python 3.0
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-January/051355.html>`__

How to handle memory allocation with the presence of threads

Evan Jones has been working on a patch to allow the garbage collector to free
up memory of small objects.  This led him to ask questions in terms of memory
usage in the face of threading at the C level.  While the GIL usually needs to
be held for any operation that touches Python code, he was not sure if this
held for the memory API.

Tim Peters clarified all of this by pointing out the documentation in the C API
manual about the GIL.  In a nutshell the memory API is not exempt from needing
to hold the GIL, so hold it.

It was also pointed out there was a bunch of code to allow people to mix usage
of PyMem_* functions with PyObject_* functions.  That was purely done for
backwards-compatibility back in the day.  Mixing these two APIs for memory is
very bad.  Don't do it!

Contributing threads:
   - `Improving the Python Memory Allocator
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-January/051255.html>`__
   - `Python Interpreter Thread Safety?
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-January/051335.html>`__

--------------------------
Slicing iterators rejected
--------------------------

Nick Coghlan proposed allowing iterators to be sliced liked other sequence
types.  That way something like ``enumerate("ABCD")[1:]`` would work.

But Guido rejected it.  With itertools.islice existence it does not provide new
functionality.  Plus "Iterators are for single sequential access" according to
Guido, and thus should not be confused with sequences.

Contributing threads:
   - `Allowing slicing of iterators
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-January/051257.html>`__

===============
Skipped Threads
===============

- redux: fractional seconds in strptime
- how to test behavior wrt an extension type?
- Strange segfault in Python threads and linux kernel 2.6
- Unix line endings required for PyRun* breaking embedded Python
- Zen of Python
- PyCon: The Spam Continues ;-)
- Patch review: [ 1094542 ] add Bunch type to collections module

========
Epilogue
========

January 16, 2005 through January 31, 2005.
It is intended to inform the wider Python community of on-going
developments on the list on a semi-monthly basis.  An archive_ of
previous summaries is available online.

An `RSS feed`_ of the titles of the summaries is available.
You can also watch comp.lang.python or comp.lang.python.announce for
new summaries (or through their email gateways of python-list or
python-announce, respectively, as found at http://mail.python.org).

This is the fifty-seventh summary written by Brett Cannon (grad schools are
actually crazy enough to accept me  =).

To contact me, please send email to brett at python.org.  Do *not*
post to comp.lang.python if you wish to reach me.

The `Python Software Foundation`_ is the non-profit organization that
holds the intellectual property for Python.  It also tries to advance
the development and use of Python.  If you find the python-dev Summary
helpful please consider making a donation.  You can make a donation at
http://python.org/psf/donations.html .  Every penny helps so even a
small donation with a credit card, check, or by PayPal helps.

If you are looking for a way to expand your knowledge of Python's
development and inner-workings, consider writing the python-dev
Summaries yourself!  I am willing to hand over the reins to someone
who is willing to do a comparable or better job of writing the
Summaries.  If you are interested, please email me at
brett at python.org.

--------------------
Commenting on Topics
--------------------

To comment on anything mentioned here, just post to
`comp.lang.python`_ (or email python-list at python.org which is a
gateway to the newsgroup) with a subject line mentioning what you are
discussing.  All python-dev members are interested in seeing ideas
discussed by the community, so don't hesitate to take a stance on
something.  And if all of this really interests you then get involved
and join `python-dev`_!

-------------------------
How to Read the Summaries
-------------------------

The in-development version of the documentation for Python can be
found at http://www.python.org/dev/doc/devel/ and should be used when
looking up any documentation for new code; otherwise use the current
documentation as found at http://docs.python.org/ .  PEPs (Python
Enhancement Proposals) are located at http://www.python.org/peps/ .
To view files in the Python CVS online, go to
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/python/ .  Reported
bugs and suggested patches can be found at the SourceForge_ project
page.

Please note that this summary is written using reStructuredText_.
Any unfamiliar punctuation is probably markup for reST_ (otherwise it
is probably regular expression syntax or a typo =); you can safely
ignore it.  I do suggest learning reST, though; it's simple and is
accepted for `PEP markup`_ and can be turned into many different
formats like HTML and LaTeX.  Unfortunately, even though reST is
standardized, the wonders of programs that like to reformat text do
not allow me to guarantee you will be able to run the text version of
this summary through Docutils_ as-is unless it is from the
`original text file`_.

.. _python-dev: http://www.python.org/dev/
.. _SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=5470
.. _comp.lang.python: http://groups.google.com/groups?q=comp.lang.python