Controlling Pc From Server?

Pierre Barbier de Reuille pierre.barbier at cirad.fr
Sun Feb 27 09:00:45 EST 2005

andrea_gavana at tin.it a écrit :
> Hello Kartic & NG,
>
>      Thank you for your prompt answer. In effect, I'm trying to work on
> a NT network of 6 PC (plus the server). Sorry to not have been clearer.
> Ideally, I'm trying to monitor the Internet activity of each client (PC)
> on this network (but I'm not a boss trying to control my emplyees, I'm just
> curious on it). I would like to know which PC is connected to Internet (by
> starting something like a "timer" for every PC, and then periodically check
> if a particular PC is connected or not). This should be done from the main
> server.
> Did I make myself clear? Do you think it would be a huge task?
>
> Sorry, it may be a very basic question, but thank you for your help.
>
> Andrea.

If what you want is to monitor internet requests, the best place to do
so is the gateway of your network. If you don't have access to the
gateway, you can always set your server as the gateway for your machines
and your server will need to redirect the IP flux to the real gateway.
That way, you don't need anything on the client side. On the server,
just look at the fluxes toward the internet and you can do wathever you
want with it. After that, as I don't know the windows implementation of
a gateway, I can't help you ...

Pierre