Big development in the GUI realm

Courageous dontwant at spam.com
Mon Feb 7 23:56:44 EST 2005

>OK, so according to Linus, the GPL allows ....

No. Pay attention. Linus has his own revised version, to clarify
this point, and in fact /overruling/ the GPL if the point is
clarified differently by RMS or others.

That's the right of their community, it's /their/ code.

>make calls to the kernel, but TrollTech says the GPL doesn't allow a
>proprietary program to make calls to the Qt library.

That's their prerogative, although TrollTech's authority as an
/interpretational/ entity over the GPL means precisely zero. I
wouldn't push this, though, unless you've got a big litigation
budget.

>It's this double-standard that I find confusing, since both projects
>are said to be based on the same license.

Linus doesn't use "the" GPL, he uses "his" GPL, version-whatever.

Anyway, your safe bet:

Follow the copyright holder's wishes.

That's fair. After all, it's free, so they're doing you a damn
big favor.

C//