unicode encoding usablilty problem

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Feb 21 17:52:46 EST 2005

aurora wrote:
> What is the processing of getting a PEP work out? Does the work and
> discussion carry out in the python-dev mailing list? I would be glad to
> help out especially on this particular issue.

See PEP 1 for the PEP process. The main point is that discussion is
*not* carried out on any specific forum. But instead, the PEP serves
as a container for all possible considerations people come up with,
formally by writing to the PEP author. Of course, they will use
comp.lang.python and python-dev (and perhaps SIG mailing lists)
instead of writing to the PEP author, so the PEP author may need to
track these as well.

The process is triggered by the author posting revisions of the
PEP at a moderate rate, each time claiming "now I think it is
complete". Then, if nobody comes up with a reasoning that is
not yet covered in the PEP, it becomes ready for BDFL
pronouncement. It better also has an implementation at some point
in time.

For a dormant PEP, the prospective author should contact the
original author, and offer co-authoring. Perhaps the original
author even proposes that you can take over the entire thing
sometime.

Notice that, at some point, a patch implementing the PEP will
be needed. So you should indicate from the beginning whether you
are also willing to work on the implementation. If not, there is
a good chance that the PEP again goes dormant after the
specification is complete.

Regards,
Martin