low-end persistence strategies?

Nick Craig-Wood nick at craig-wood.com
Thu Feb 17 01:50:23 EST 2005

Paul Rubin <http> wrote:
>  The issue with using an rdbms is not with the small amount of code
>  needed to connect to it and query it, but in the overhead of
>  installing the huge piece of software (the rdbms) itself, and keeping
>  the rdbms server running all the time so the infrequently used app can
>  connect to it.

I've found SQLobject to be a really good way of poking objects in an
SQL database with zero hassle.

It can also use SQLite (which I haven't tried) which gets rid of your
large rdbms process but also gives you a migration path should the
problem expand.

>  ZODB is also a big piece of software to install.  Is it at least
>  100% Python with no C modules required?  Does it need a separate
>  server process?  If it needs either C modules or a separate server,
>  it really can't be called a low-end strategy.

ZODB looks fun.  I just wish (being lazy) that there was a seperate
debian package for just it and not the whole of Zope.