[EVALUATION] - E02 - Support for MinGW Open Source Compiler

Adam DePrince adam at cognitcorp.com
Tue Feb 15 15:04:17 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 14:25, Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
> Adam DePrince wrote:
> [...]
> >>MinGW compatibility is not [only] my need.
> >>
> >>It is an community need [at least partially]
> >
> > And herein lies the beauty of the noble meritocratic free software
> > movement.
> >
> > If the community needs it, a member of said community has both complete
> > unfettered freedom and a supportive environment to make it.
>
> Which is this "supportive environment"?

You're on it.  You drive a car?  You have to treat it right to get what
you want, right?  Same here.  Ask correctly, and you will get your
answers.

> > Any amount
> > of success at such an endeavor, even a feeble failure of an attempt,
> > would bring kudos the hero who attempts such a feat and possibly
> > organize unfathomable resources in the attendance of such a lofty goal.
> >
> > Make us proud Ilias.  But whatever you do, don't beg.
>
> I don't beg.

Really, remember this:

>  " My questions:   a) Why does the Python Foundation not provide
> additionally a binary version, compiled with MinGW or another
> open-source compiler?"

Many languages have the notion of the "rhetorical question."   Also
known as the "loaded question."  Your statement comes across partly as a
challenge, partly as a demand.  In English, American English at least,
if you want to challenge somebody over a perceived failure ask them why
they didn't do it.  English language culutres tend to be very
metrocratic.  American history glorifies the self capable (and somewhat
violent) cowboy.  Austrians have their love of "daisy cutting."  I could
go on, but language carriers its own cultural barriers.

You didn't intent to, but you begging.   Sure, you save some face by not
obviously groveling, but that only makes the slight worse.  Now somebody
asked that you to read
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html.   Read it in its
entirety, and come back later.

Now I have the *real* reason that they didn't do this.  Nobody cares,
except for you.  If you care enough, make the binary package yourself
and give it to the community.  Take home the source, compile it, get it
working, and *you* can become the hero of the Python Foundation that
provides this service.  Being that you have a need, if the binaries you
want don't just appear, it can either be assumed that you don't care
enough, or have the ability to do the work yourself.

Even if you fail miserably, come back, tell us what you tried, how you
failed, and the denizens of this site will happily (try to) guide you.

Good luck getting what you want by trolling.

Adam DePrince