[EVALUATION] - E02 - Support for MinGW Open Source Compiler

Joe Francia gmane-schpam at joefrancia.com
Tue Feb 15 16:48:00 EST 2005

Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
> Joe Francia wrote:
>
>> Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>> MinGW compatibility is not [only] my need.
>>>
>>> It is an community need [at least partially]
>>

>> You keep using that word "community". I do not think it means what you
>> think it means.
>

> The community is everyone around python (including me at this moment).
>
> We could call i userbase, too, but one needs not to be a actual user to
> be a community member.

Well, I'm glad you cleared that up (even though you clearly missed the
"Princess Bride" reference).  As a member *and* user in the Python
community, I hereby declare MinGW as unnecessary to the successful
continuation of Python.  When I need to compile extensions on win32,
VS.NET works splendidly.  (And gcc covers my FreeBSD & Linux extension
compiling needs - I have no unusual demands or expectations that the
Python "community" will support, say, the Intel C compiler on those
platforms).

 > what do you think about?

Oh, different things at different times, but it's usually not about
MinGW support for Python.

--
Soraia: http://www.soraia.com