new style exception handleing

Ola Natvig ola.natvig at infosense.no
Wed Feb 2 10:11:38 EST 2005

Hi all

Does anybody know why it's not possible to raise Exceptions which are
types (new-style-classes). I know all standard exceptions are classic
classes, but if you make a custom exception which both inherits from a
exception class and a new-style one the it causes a type error when raised.

 >>> class b(Exception, object): pass

 >>> raise b

Traceback (most recent call last):
     raise b
TypeError: exceptions must be classes, instances, or strings
(deprecated), not type

This is weird, I think. Are there any issues about raising types as
exceptions that I can't think of ?