Pythonic poker client

Efrat Regev efrat_regev at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 14 04:27:14 EST 2005

<hardieca at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1108334914.029293.14830 at o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> Hi all,
>
> My PC finally went belly up last week and I'm looking forward to
> playing with my new Mac. However, I play a bit of online poker, and
> there is no Mac client for my poker room.
>
> Ideally, instead of running Virtual PC, I'd much rather build a custom
> poker client with Python. It's an idea I've been kicking around for a
> while, as it would let me create logs and better analyze my playing.
> I'm hoping it would also help me improve my Python coding skills.
>
> I've mostly done web development, so I'm a little out of my element
> here, but I would certainly appreciate any help someone could offer.
> How would one go about porting a client like this?

    It's already built into Python :-)

import poker
import poker.holdem
import poker.omaha_eight
import poker.seven_stud

But, seriously, any Poker site (at least the commercial ones) go the
opposite direction from using an open protocol. Moreover, they somewhat
compete with themselves on using encryption techniques (Poker site reviews
take encryption into consideration). Finally, I think any Poker site
administrators would do anything possible to block your client, since once
you have a Python Poker client, the door is open to writing an automated
client - bringing on the doom of Poker websites.