Tar module issue

Russell Bungay bigmaddrongo at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 7 08:01:58 EST 2005

Hello,

> I'm using tarfile module to create an archive. For my example I'm using
> Amsn file and directory tree.
> My variables are like these ones:
> path = /home/chaica/downloads/amsn-0_94/skins/Tux/smileys/shades.gif
> fileName = amsn-0_94/skins/Tux/smileys/shades.gif
> tar.add( path, fileName )
> and while untaring my archive with tar jxvf I've random errors :
> tar: amsn-0_94/lang/genlangfiles.c: Cannot hard link to
> `amsn-0_94/lang/genlangfiles.c': No such file or directory
> I checked google and saw that errors like these ones could occur when
> you use global path while taring, but I'm not, using fileName which is
> local.

I used tarfile for the first time at the weekend and noticed one thing
that may help.  I don't know if it is a specific solution to your
problem, but it might be worth a try.

I noticed that if I didn't explicitly close the tarfile with tar.close()
after I had added the files, the resultant file would sometimes not be
written properly (even with completed execution of the whole script).
Explicitly closing the file would make these problems go away.

I hope that helps,