[EVALUATION] - E02 - Support for MinGW Open Source Compiler

Brian Beck exogen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 06:34:05 EST 2005

Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
 > this answer do not fit in most questions.
 >
 > please review them again.

Actually, it does. Please review them again.

> My questions:
 >
> a) Why does the Python Foundation not provide additionally a binary version, compiled with MinGW or another open-source compiler?

Because no one has yet volunteered their time and effort to get the job
done.

> b) Why does the Python Foundation not ensure, that the python source-code is directly compilable with MinGW?

Because no one has yet volunteered their time and effort to get the job
done.

> c) Why are the following efforts not _directly_ included in the python source code base?

Because no one has yet volunteered their time and effort to get the job
done.

> d) Is it really neccessary that I dive into such adventures, to be able to do the most natural thing like: "developing python extensions with MinGW"?

Yes, because no one has yet volunteered their time and effort to get the
job done.

> f) Are there any official (Python Foundation) statements / rationales available, which explain why the MinGW compiler is unsupported, although parts of the community obviously like to use it?

The most likely response you will get is: Because no one has yet
volunteered their time and effort to get the job done.

> I ask some questions and suggest some things.
>
> Voluntarlily and without beeing paid.

What a martyr you are.

> There are many commercial systems around python.
>
> So please stop this volunteerism-stuff.

If the support you're looking for is beneficial to your commercial
application a.k.a. business, then why aren't you making it happen?
Obviously the existing commercial development teams are doing fine
without it, otherwise it would exist. Even then, a commercial developer
providing their development work to enhance the standard Python
distribution IS volunteering.

--
Brian Beck
Adventurer of the First Order