Big development in the GUI realm

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Mon Feb 7 22:51:26 EST 2005

On 2005-02-08, Robert Kern <rkern at ucsd.edu> wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> Spare us your clueless, junior-high legal analyses
>
> [etc.]
>
> Hey! There's no need for name-calling. This is a tricky legal area that
> can be very confusing even to the most legal-minded of us. While I think
> "Luke" is incorrect in several respects and is somewhat uninformed about
> others, he doesn't deserve this vitriol.

Sorry if I was a bit blunt, but I'm sick of people trying to
weasle their way around a license by creative interpretation of
the license terms when the licensors made their intentions as
clear as possible.

I've released software under the GPL, and I really pisses me
off when I see people trying to violate the spirit and intent
of the license becuase they want to use GPL'ed software but
they don't want to abide by the terms of the license.

If you want to use one of my libraries that's under the GPL and
you don't want to release your source code, then do the right
thing:

  1) Release your code under the GPL.

  2) Write your own library.

  3) Ask me to let you use it under the LGPL or a different
     license.  [I've agreed everytime the request has been made.]

I've got no patience at all for people who sit around playing
word games and coming up with bad analogies to try to justify
using somebody else's software without author's permission.

I don't _care_ why somebody thinks they should be able to use
Trolltech's software for a non-GPL'ed program without paying
for it when Trolltech has stated explicitly that they're not
allowed to do that.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'm DESPONDENT... I
                                  at               hope there's something