IPython colors in windows

Gary Bishop gb at cs.unc.edu
Sat Feb 5 19:10:07 EST 2005

Claudio Grondi <claudio.grondi at freenet.de> wrote:
> "Ashot" <ashot at removemolsoftthis.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:opslo7jfhqej1m1c at ashot...
> > whoa, that was quick, looks like it works for me.  Thanks a lot!
> > It would be nice to be able to set the colors in the prefs file, although
> > its possible to edit the pyColorize file as Claudio mentioned.
> To get the coloured texts on a grey (instead of white) background
> I have extended the Console.py to accept sequences as e.g.
>   "0;33;47" (see attachment)
> have extended also the
>   def make_color_table(in_class):
> in the ColorANSI.py of IPython
> and adjusted the pyColorize.py file, but it had not the desired effect.
> IPython seems not to be sending to Console.py the sequences
> defined in the

The problem *may* be the way I insert the background color in
Console.py. I simply hacked it to OR the initial value into the colors
I get out of my table. If you want to have some colors with the
background set, then we'd need to work out a way to signal
that. Perhaps instead of or'ing in the value all the time, we should
insert the background value into the table entries that don't specify
the background.

I'm happy to see someone hacking on it. The source is all there and it
is all Python. The Win32 API stuff is ugly but well documented online.

If you change the "if 0:" up at the top of Console.py to "if 1:"
you'll get a file debug.txt with the contents of the various calls to
"log". That way you can "print" stuff from within console without
messing up the window.

gb