variable declaration

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.com
Tue Feb 1 06:27:24 EST 2005

On 31 Jan 2005 19:41:27 -0800, "Michael Tobis" <mt at 3planes.com> wrote:

>> You may call it a strawberry, if you wish, but that doesn't mean it
>will
>> taste good with fresh cream.  It's nothing more and nothing less than
>an
>> arguably weird syntax for a perfectly executable statement:
>
>This may well be true in implementation, but cognitively it is a
>declaration that modifies the reference and not the referent. I see
>that it is a big deal to ask for more of these, but I don't see why.

Thank you for bringing it and respecting the cognitive factor.  My
"expereince* of the decorator, disassembly of internals quite aside,
is that it breaks old rules - or, if prferred, breaks new ground -  by
impacting code one wouildn't expect it to kow about.

It frightens me a bit when the road to Guru seems to move in the
direction of most completely transcending the normal user experience,
rather than in best comprehending it.

Art