Test for structure

Chris Cioffi evenprimes at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 10:13:52 EST 2005

Perhaps you're looking for the type() built in function and the types modules?

>>> type('aaa')
<type 'str'>
>>> type([])
<type 'list'>
>>> import types
>>> if type([]) is types.ListType:
... 	print 'is a list'
is a list

Chris

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 07:10:56 -0800 (PST), alex
<alexander.dietz at mpi-hd.mpg.de> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> how can I check if a variable is a structure (i.e. a list)? For my
> special problem the variable is either a character string OR a list of
> character strings line ['word1', 'word2',...]
>
> So how can I test if a variable 'a' is either a single character string
> or a list? I tried:
>
> if a is list:
>
> but that does not work. I also looked in the tutorial and used google
> to find an answer, but I did not.
>
> Has anyone an idea about that?
>
> Alex
>
> --

"It is our responsibilities, not ourselves, that we should take
seriously." -- Peter Ustinov