Big development in the GUI realm

Jeremy Bowers jerf at jerf.org
Tue Feb 8 09:02:33 EST 2005

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 19:55:01 +0100, Maciej Mróz wrote:
> Unfortunately, GPL faq is extremely vague on such border cases, instead
> of simple "yes/no" answers faq is filled with some advocacy talks ...

To re-iterate a point I made on a thread last week, nobody really knows
what the GPL says and means on this topic. We can *barely* outline our
ignorance, but even our ignorance is pretty fuzzy.

Copyright-based models can't handle modern computer programs, and the GPL
is still copyright-based. As such, it is hosed.

(For an expansion of that idea, see
http://www.jerf.org/writings/communicationEthics/node7.html ; note the
next chapter tries to solve this problem in the context of more
conventional communication, but even with my refinements I'm *still* not
sure how to handle something like the GPL reasonably. I think you'd have
to re-define what the GPL covers almost from scratch; I think it could be
done, but I'm not sure you can fully rationally create an LGPL that
doesn't have critical exceptions.)