- E02 - Support for MinGW Open Source Compiler

Nick Vargish nav+posts at bandersnatch.org
Mon Feb 21 14:47:49 EST 2005

Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com> writes:

> I've never understood the problem with long URLs.  Many
> newsreaders let you click on them.  If not, you just cut/paste
> it into a browser (with a shellscript a couple lines long, you
> can start firefox with the URL on the X clipboard with a single
> command).

I use Gnus through a screen session, so when I select and copy a long
URL I get backslash characters in the copied text (as amusing as it
is, w3 is not a satisfying browsing experience for me :^). It's not
hard to manually pick out the backslashes, but it's time consuming and
kind of tedious. I use an open-source terminal app (iTerm under OS X),
so I guess I could hack the "open in browser" function to remove the
backslashes... Hmm...

Side projects aside, URLs less than 79 characters long are just easier
to handle in many ways.

Nick

--
#  sigmask  ||  0.2  ||  20030107  ||  public domain  ||  feed this to a python
print reduce(lambda x,y:x+chr(ord(y)-1),' Ojdl!Wbshjti!=obwAcboefstobudi/psh?')