advice needed for simple python web app

Brian Beck exogen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 01:18:18 EST 2005

Dan Perl wrote:
> Basically, what I'm looking for is a web server that accepts an HTTP request
> and invokes a python script.  But I would like a "pythonic" solution so a
> web server like Apache is a solution that I would like to avoid.  The server
> should also be as simple as possible to administrate.

As M.E.Farmer suggested, CherryPy is definitely what you are looking
for. I have done a bit of shopping around and this is pretty much as
straightforward as you can get.

 From my experience, this appears to be the order from low-level to
high-level interfaces:

1. mod_python: As complex as you need it to be, since you can control
anything about the request & response process. But more up-front work
and decisions to make than CherryPy.
2. mod_python with Vampire: Directs you toward a specific publishing
framework that is similar to CherryPy.
3. CherryPy: Like Vampire but simpler and doesn't require mod_python.
The simplest blend between low-level server interface and
ease-of-publishing.
4. Twisted: Seems like this is a big package to work with, not sure how
easy it makes publishing once you get started-- better that someone else
comment on this.
5. Zope: The most complex solution, doesn't necessarily make the 'easy
things easy.' But covers all fronts in terms of what a user would ever need.
6. Zope with Plone: Adds a ton of publishing functionality. Has many
ways to extend, but none of them are fun. You'll have to learn such
complex APIs that Python will rarely help you.

Of course there are more, like Webware, but you didn't mention that and
I don't have experience with it.

--
Brian Beck
Adventurer of the First Order