changing local namespace of a function

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at iinet.net.au
Sat Feb 5 12:09:58 EST 2005

Something I forgot to mention. . .

Bo Peng wrote:
> You know, I have a deep root in C/C++ so performance is the king and
> hacking is part of my daily life. Time to change now. :)

The entire design of C++ is in many ways a regrettable monument to the idea that
premature optimisation is evil - far too many of the language's default
behaviours are 'fast in particular cases, but quite simply wrong in most cases,
and the compiler often can't tell you which case applies'. So you can write
buggy warning free code just by failing to override the unsafe default behaviours.

That said, one of the reasons I like CPython is that it lets you drop into C/C++
really easily when you need to (generally for hardware interface or performance
reasons). The builtin profiler can also give some decent hints on the
bottlenecks where you need to focus your performance improvements.

Cheers,
Nick.