test_socket.py failure

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at iinet.net.au
Thu Feb 3 06:51:13 EST 2005

x2164 at mailcity.com wrote:
>      Marc, it is possible that there was a change between
>      glibc-2.2.4 and 2.2.5 that would account for the
>      difference in behaviour.  I think i'll write a little
>      test program in C to check out getservbyname's return
>      values in a little more controled environment.  I'll
>      post the results tomorrow.

The other question is which C library Python is actually using on your system.
Maybe it's picking up whatever installed the funky man page which doesn't
mention NULL proto arguments.

So, find your Python 2.4 binary and run "ldd python24" to see which shared C
library it is linking to.

For me, it's /lib/tls/libc.so.6. Running that library directly prints out the
message about GNU C library 2.3.3.

Cheers,
Nick.