Python versus Perl ?

Courageous dontwant at spam.com
Sun Feb 6 11:36:08 EST 2005

> If Python is better than Perl, I'm curious how really significant
>those advantages are ?

The main advantage is Python's cleanliness. In Perl, there are so
many different ways of writing a thing, that to be adept in perl,
you have to know them all, otherwise you won't be able to read another
person's code.

Python and Perl accomplish similar things, but have strikingly different
design philosophies. Perl's design philosophy is the kitchen sink: throw
it all in. Python's is, "let's keep this simple." We add things carefully,
and with great deliberation, or not at all.

As a consequence, Python is far easier to learn than Perl.

This has non-trivial consequences on your enterprise operations.

For example, getting new engineers up to speed on the old code base is
a great deal easier.

C//