For American numbers

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at iinet.net.au
Sat Feb 12 22:54:44 EST 2005

Peter Hansen wrote:
> Only for hard drive manufacturers, perhaps.
>
> For the rest of the computer world, unless I've missed
> a changing of the guard or something, "kilo" is 1024
> and "mega" is 1024*1024 and so forth...

Given that there are perfectly good ISO prefixes for the multiples of 2**10, I
don't see any reason to continue misusing the 10**3 prefixes for the purpose.

It may be an uphill slog, but the fact that the CS usage is ambiguous at best,
and just plain wrong at worst, gives me hope :)

The hard drive guys are just leading the charge because it makes for better
marketing copy. . .

Cheers,
Nick.