low-end persistence strategies?

Diez B. Roggisch deetsNOSPAM at web.de
Wed Feb 16 09:59:06 EST 2005

> The issue with using an rdbms is not with the small amount of code
> needed to connect to it and query it, but in the overhead of

Its not only connecting - its creating (automaticall if necessary) and
"connecting" which is actually only opening.

> installing the huge piece of software (the rdbms) itself, and keeping
> the rdbms server running all the time so the infrequently used app can
> connect to it.  ZODB is also a big piece of software to install.  Is
> it at least 100% Python with no C modules required?  Does it need a
> separate server process?  If it needs either C modules or a separate
> server, it really can't be called a low-end strategy.

It has to be installed. And it has C-modules - but I don't see that as a
problem. Of course this is my personal opinion - but it's certainly easier
installed than to cough up your own transaction isolated persistence layer.
I started using it over pickle when my multi-threaded app caused pickle to
crash.

ZODB does not have a server-process, and no external setup beyond the
installation of the module itself.

Even if you consider installing it as too heavy for your current needs, you
should skim over the tutorial to get a grasp of how it works.

--
Regards,

Diez B. Roggisch