Printing Filenames with non-Ascii-Characters

Marian Aldenhövel marian at mba-software.de
Tue Feb 1 14:28:11 EST 2005

Hi,

I am very new to Python and have run into the following problem. If I do
something like

   dir = os.listdir(somepath)
   for d in dir:
      print d

The program fails for filenames that contain non-ascii characters.

   'ascii' codec can't encode characters in position 33-34:

I have noticed that this seems to be a very common problem. I have read a lot
of postings regarding it but not really found a solution. Is there a simple
one?

What I specifically do not understand is why Python wants to interpret the
string as ASCII at all. Where is this setting hidden?

I am running Python 2.3.4 on Windows XP and I want to run the program on
Debian sarge later.

Ciao, MM
--
Marian Aldenhövel, Rosenhain 23, 53123 Bonn. +49 228 624013.
http://www.marian-aldenhoevel.de