Learning Python for a new beginner

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at iinet.net.au
Fri Feb 4 07:01:44 EST 2005

Lisa Horton wrote:
> I hear that Python is one of the easiest languages to learn. It is
> easier than PHP or Pearl? Is it as useful as those two? I am attracted
> to Python as a first language, but I just want to be sure I will be
> able to use it.
>
> Opinions, thoughts, thanks!

I suggest grabbing the 2.4 Python interpreter and the tutorial from
www.python.org (if you're on Windows, the tutorial is included with the installer).

There are also resources like "Dive into Python" that may be useful.

With respect to PHP, I have no opinion, since I've never needed to use it. With
respect to Perl, I find it to be such an inconsistent dog's breakfast that I
have the docs page open whenever I have to write or read it. With Python, I
first used it for one subject at University, and was able to pick it back up a
few years later without even looking at the documentation.

Cheers,
Nick.