Efficient checksum calculating on lagre files

Ola Natvig ola.natvig at infosense.no
Tue Feb 8 10:33:57 EST 2005

Hi all

Does anyone know of a fast way to calculate checksums for a large file.
I need a way to generate ETag keys for a webserver, the ETag of large
files are not realy nececary, but it would be nice if I could do it. I'm
using the python hash function on the dynamic generated strings (like in
page content) but on things like images I use the shutil's
copyfileobject function and the hash of a fileobject's hash are it's
handlers memmory address.

Does anyone know a python utility which is possible to use, perhaps
something like the md5sum utility on *nix systems.