newbie wants to compile python list of filenames in selected directories

Caleb Hattingh caleb1 at telkomsa.net
Sun Feb 6 22:43:40 EST 2005

Hi Anthony

Here is some stuff to get you started (this is from memory, I'm not
checking it, but should be mostly helpful):

***
import os

os.chdir('C:\My Documents')  # Can use this to jump around to different
folders
fileNames = os.listdir('.')  # Checks the now current folder
namesToMatch = ['readme.txt','readme.doc'] # Buncha names to find

for item in fileNames:  # check every filename
   if item in namesToMatch:  # is this item in the required list?
     print 'Match found: '+item  # if you found one, say so.
***

Hope this helps.
Caleb