Variables.

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Sat Feb 19 00:57:52 EST 2005

On Wednesday 16 February 2005 03:34 am, administrata wrote:
> sry, I mean the problem is... about lining
>
> it doesn't look like this...
>
> Allen woke up early in the morning. But, it was unusal by Allen.
> Allen's pillow was with Allen. Allen didn't want to wake up But, Allen
> tried my best and woke up. it was so amazing
> --

In a triple-quoted string, newlines are significant.

Compare:

>>> my_text1 = """
...                     first line of text
...                     second line of text
...                     third line of text
...                     """

>>> my_text2 = ("first line of text "
...                     "second line of text "
...                     "third line of text")

>>> print my_text1

                    first line of text
                    second line of text
                    third line of text

>>> print my_text2
first line of text second line of text third line of text

Note that strings that appear together without punctuation are concatenated
*before* byte-compiling, whereas using "+" creates code to concatenated the
strings.  This will rarely matter, but it means that the idiom above is completely
equivalent to a long string on a single line, which is probably what you wanted.

You need the parentheses to tell Python that the expression is not complete,
so it won't throw a syntax error when you go to the next line.

There are also more sophisticated ways of processing text, of course -- study the
"textwrap" module, for example.

Cheers,
Terry