Big development in the GUI realm

Arich Chanachai macrocosm at fastmail.fm
Fri Feb 11 18:32:59 EST 2005

Robert Kern wrote:

> Arich Chanachai wrote:
> > I have never seen a commercial license for a library
>
>> which stated that you did not have to pay the license fee until you
>> have made that much money in sales from the software which you
>> created, in part, from that library.  I would be in favor of such a
>> license, but I haven't seen anything of the sort.
>

> http://www.fastio.com/licensePlain.html
>
> See their license option for shareware developers.

I stand corrected.  Nevertheless, my point stands as this is rare.  In
fact, this thread began as a result of Trolltech releasing PyQt for
windows with a GPL license option in addition to the commercial one, and
you will notice that there is no special *deferment provision for
shareware developers *in the specification of commercial license.*  *It
would be a grand aid to developers if more companies took this noble and
perhaps more effective approach (versus the gimme-money-now alternative
which is quite dominant).  I would argue that such a provision is in the
interests of the toolkit/library developer as this would allow fellows
to adopt their technology (and eventually pay for this adoption),
fellows who otherwise could not.

-Arich