For American numbers

Mon Feb 14 15:14:45 EST 2005

Neil Benn wrote:
> Scott David Daniels wrote:
>> Kind of fun exercise (no good for British English).
> what's American about it?  If anything, it's more French than American ;-)

Well, actually this started with scaling integers, and I was worried
about a billion / billionth (and up / down).  In mid-task I switched
to ISO prefix without bothering to update my mental state.  So I
warned about a problem that a former version of this code had.  As I
hit send, I realized my stupidity, but figured I was better off not
wasting more bandwidth (which I now have done).  If I had it to do
over again, I'd have made the default unit something like meters --
again non-British, and it avoids the issue of 1024 / 1000 altogether.

grinning-stupidly,

Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org