Selective HTML doc generation

Brian van den Broek bvande at po-box.mcgill.ca
Thu Feb 24 12:07:47 EST 2005

Graham Ashton said unto the world upon 2005-02-24 04:54:
> Thanks Brian, much appreciated. Looks quite straightforward.
>
> Graham

Hi Graham,

glad it helped -- I think this marks the first time I've given a
useful answer to a non-trivial question on comp.lang.python. :-)

<context for future thread readers>

G:
> Hi. I'm looking for a documentation generation tool (such as pydoc,
> epydoc, happydoc, etc.) that will allow me to filter what it includes
> in it's output.
>
> I only want the reader to know about classes and methods in my package
> if if the classes have docstrings.

B:
Pointed Graham to to the visiblename function of pydoc.py, where I
recently made a small change to get it to display `private' methods,
and hypothesized that would be where he'd want to start in order to
modify pydoc to meet his needs.
</context for future thread readers>

Before I responded, I tried for a bit to write the code to filter for
only those objects with docstrings like you wanted. I'm fairly new to
programming and wasn't able to work out exactly what code is needed.
(My skill level is such that it isn't quite so straight-forward to me :-)

Would you be willing to post what you did to make it work? I think I'd
learn something, having bounced off when making a (gentle) push on the
problem.

Best,

Brian vdB