Whither datetime.date ?

Harald Hanche-Olsen hanche at math.ntnu.no
Sat Feb 26 12:58:18 EST 2005

I'm confused.  I was going to try linkchecker, and it dies with a
traceback ending in

  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/calendar.py", line 32, in _localized_month
    _months = [datetime.date(2001, i+1, 1).strftime for i in range(12)]
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'date'

Sure enough, there is no datetime.date, but there is a datetime.Date:

Python 2.4 (#2, Feb 19 2005, 20:35:23)
[GCC 3.4.2 [FreeBSD] 20040728] on freebsd5
>>> import datetime
>>> dir(datetime)
['Date', 'DateTime', ...]

However, the Library Reference clearly states that datetime.date
should exist.  Granted, it's been a while since I used python in
anger, but isn't this what it says?

  http://www.python.org/doc/2.4/lib/node243.html
  http://www.python.org/doc/2.4/lib/datetime-date.html

Moreover, the datetime.date class is supposed to have a strftime()
method.  datetime.Date does not.

I'm beginning to wonder if the FreeBSD python package is at fault.

Or what is really going on here?

- Debating gives most of us much more psychological satisfaction
  than thinking does: but it deprives us of whatever chance there is
  of getting closer to the truth.  -- C.P. Snow