Trouble using telentlib

Nitin Chaumal nitinzep at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 11 17:41:11 EST 2005

I sarched the existing threads but didnt find an answer to this.

I am writing simple script which uses telentlib to open a session with
a unix machine and run "tail -f logfile.txt" on one of the logfiles.

import telnetlib

HOST = "192.X.X.X"
user = "myname"
password = "mypass"

tn = telnetlib.Telnet(HOST)

tn.read_until("login: ")
tn.write(user + "\n")
if password:
    tn.read_until("Password: ")
    tn.write(password + "\n")

tn.write("tail -f /tmp/logfile.txt\n")

# what do i write here ? #

tn.write("exit\n")

I want to read every line of the output into a string and run regex on
it.
I tried tn.interact() which does show me the ouput but the CPU usage
on my win2k machine reaches 99% !! :(

How do i execute a command and then read its output, then another
command and read its output and so on. I tried to find docs on
telnetlib but in vain.

Can somebody guide me please

Thanks
Nitin