IDLE Problem: win98\Python2.4

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Feb 21 17:57:28 EST 2005

kim kubik wrote:
> A little knowledge is indeed a dangerous thing; forgive my
> stupidity - it will happen again, so I'm apologizing in advance!

No need to apologize! This is a frequent mistake, and it might
be sensible to change Python to be more resistent against it.
For example, it might be possible to check whether TCL_LIBRARY
points to a "good" Tcl version if set, in lib-tk/FixTk.py.
Then, if it is somehow determined to be incorrect (i.e. by
containing an outdated tcldll, but no current one), TCL_LIBRARY
could be ignored, and the included library could be used.

Alternatively, a more detailed warning if import _tkinter
failed and TCL_LIBRARY is set could be produced (instead
of silently "fixing" the problem for the user).

Patches in this direction are welcome.

Regards,
Martin